[Techtalk] Intro and a question

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Jun 5 03:17:25 UTC 2007

I've been on the list for a while and quite enjoy the answers to
questions. One list I'm on just about the total opposite.
Anyway.........................I've been playing around with Linux for a
while off and on, and a, near, total Linux user for about two years now.
Right now my primary OS is openSuSE 10.2 X86-64. on an eMachine dual
core intel. I have it triple booted with XP and Vista [ total trash ],
but am considering giving up on Vista and putting in another Linux
Distro. Probably either Mepis or Freespire, or, on the other hand,
possibly something else entirely. I've tried Ubuntu [not really very
impressed], Mandriva [uh....ok], PCLinux [didn't really play with it
long enough to make an opinion, but it looked nice], Freespire [would
like to spend a little more time with this one sometime] and Mepis [ it
has it's own problems to get through].

My one question seems pretty simple on the surface. I'm also a ham radio
operator and we are building up a van to go storm chasing in. I need a
mapping software similar to Microsoft Streets and Trips, Rand McNally
Road Atlas, or the DeLorme mapping software [ can't remember the name
right off ]. Whatever i get has to have street level mapping for at
least Oklahoma and Kansas. It would be nice to have national at that
level, but not really necessary. It needs to be in an RPM format
suitable sor SuSE [I have very poor luck with CLI stuff]. Wine doesn't
seem to be a workable solution either. I've never been able to get
something to run there.

Does anyone know of anything like this for Linux?

--
(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
Billie Walsh