[Techtalk] tftpboot client problems

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Wed Jan 24 10:28:50 UTC 2007

Hey there,

I am trying to get a linux machine to boot off over the network, and I
am having a curious problem:

First the machine that is booting off the network (monk) sends an arp
request to find out which machine has the ip with the operating system
(miles). Miles answers and begins transferring the kernel. It gets
through a bunch of packets, and then miles sends out an arp to find out
who has monk's ip. For some reason, monk never answers, and instead monk
shows an error "Too many packets", and quits.

Any idea what would cause this machine to not answer an arp request to
see who has its ip?

Thanks!

cheers,
maria