[Techtalk] Content Management Systems

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 10 21:20:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 10:04:02PM -0500, Linda de Boer wrote:
> Any advice is appreciated......

On a personal note, what I use for my own site is a combination (thus
probably overly complicated, but that's me).  The majority of the site
is done with an Embperl[1] framework (that is, Embperl is the engine, and
I've written my own custom scripts to make the actual system).  I use
XSLT transformation to enable my source files to be plain HTML (the
Embperl calls an XSLT transformation which then puts in all the layout
and navigation stuff).  I like this because it means that my content is
still ordinary HTML files, they don't have to be any special format, and
I don't have to have a database.  It also means that I can leverage
other programs (such as photo album generation scripts) to create
"static" HTML pages, and plug those pages into my dynamic site.  I have
my cake and eat it too.

Other parts of my site are done with PmWiki[2] set up so that it looks
exactly the same as the Embperl parts of the site.  I discovered PmWiki
when I was investigating wikis for work, and I really like it.
I use it for parts of my site that are a bit more often updated, or take
advantage of the wiki features which just make things easier.

Some of the wiki sections are:

http://www.katspace.org/Links/

This takes advantage of a plugin which enables one to set up
bookmarklets which will add a link to the current page one is browsing,
to one of the pages in the "Links" group.  It makes adding links to my
links collection a LOT easier!  I've also used an inclusion feature to
include sections of different links pages on other links pages, for
things that belong to more than one category.

http://www.katspace.org/reviews/Books/

Putting this under a wiki is supposed to make adding book reviews
easier, as well as cross-referencing authors and genres, but I have to
admit I haven't been adding book reviews all that more frequently... 8-/

http://www.katspace.org/fiction/

This is my fan fiction archive; having it under the wiki enables authors
to update their own stories.  Not that they have, yet...

[1] http://perl.apache.org/embperl/
[2] http://www.pmwiki.org

Kathryn Andersen