[Techtalk] Content Management Systems

Tamara Harpster tamara.harpster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 03:11:21 UTC 2007

I haven't looked at Drupal in a while, so my comments may not all apply.
What I found is that Drupal finds some nice components but that the
administrative interface is not as strong as it could be, so it is not
intutive on how to put the items together for a site and how to get them to
work. However, for customizing, it looked like it would have some
advantages, once you figured out how things worked together.

I've chosen Joomla for my own personal site and I have a friend who uses
Joomla/Mambo for all of the web sites she puts together for her clients for
her business. Very smooth administrative interface and very quick to get up
and running, if you are not interested in customizing components. A lot of
components that can be used, and the Community builder is a strongly
recommended add-on for sites that want to provide forums, messaging and
other items  for a site.

The organization of the content does take some working with to understand
since it is very different from setting up a standard HTML organized type of
web site. I recommend setting up the demo site and playing with the addition
of sections and categories and adding in test documents. Then, add in menu
items for each of these and I suspect you will get a better feel for how
Joomla/Mambo operates.

hope this helps out some and it reminds me, I need to download the latest
rev of Druapl myself to see what improvements have been made lately.

tamara

On 1/9/07, Linda de Boer <ldb at swmbo.ca> wrote:

> G'day
>
> Drupal seems to be highly recommended for Content Mangement. What I am
> having trouble catching onto is the "way of thinking". I have the admin
> account for which I can create content. How or can it be used to create
> customer sites? Am I misunderstanding it's purpose? I've always done the
> code in good old vi. I am looking into alternatives due to volume. I'm
> also looking at Mambo.
>
> Any advice is appreciated......
> Thanks...
>
> --
> ldb

"Do not anger the dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"