[Techtalk] Postfix HELO controls

Doc Nielsen docnielsen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 23:28:15 UTC 2007

On 1/6/07, Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org> wrote:
> Btw, I used ips instead of hostnames, I assume in the end
> it is all the same?

Using both in the helo_access would work too.
Whatever the server says in HELO or EHLO can be blocked or accepted that way.
Since saying HELO docnielsen.dk
is different from saying HELO 85.81.167.126
both should be on the block list.
In fact, any hostname the spammers use, like localhost,
localhost.localdomain etc can be blocked that way. And if you dont
like mail from some ISP's or other sites, you can just add their HELO
into the list too.

Needless to say, my helo_access list is getting rather long by now,
but spam is not getting through at all. And if it does, i block both
the sending IP or subnet if it's an ISP's range, the senders domain
(@hostname.ext) and the HELO.
This leads to hardly any false positives, and since i check my mail
log daily with logcheck, i get it sorted right away.

If you need more help setting up postfix, do let me know :-)

-Doc
--
Evry little box should have a pat on the back by uid 0 at least once a day
Even a tux or a beastie needs love, just like I do :o)