[Techtalk] double installation of Ubuntu and grub

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 00:50:21 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Roberta Gallini <regina.amazzone at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I believe Ubuntu automatically creates GRUB menu entries when you install new
> > kernels. If it doesn't, they are easy to add manually.
>
> I know that it does, but will the Grub create them also in the "other"
> installation?
>
> I mean, I know that in the Edgy installation the grub will be updated,
> but will it function also in the "other" grub on the dapper partition?

The update-grub(8) script is used for this. It scans /boot for kernels
and adds them automatically. If you install a new kernel and its not
in the same /boot as the other kernels likely update-grub will just
update a menu.lst that is never used. (because the grub installed to
the hard drive reads the menu.lst from the other installation) You'll
have to add the entries for the new kernel manually after booting into
the other installation.

greets,
Wim