[Techtalk] Quick question, I hope?

Gebhard Dettmar gebhard.dettmar at student.hu-berlin.de
Fri Dec 21 21:08:16 UTC 2007

On Friday 21 December 2007 16:40, Figaro wrote:
> Gebhard Dettmar wrote:
> >[..]
> > Exactly. IMHO creating /etc/environment with
> > export LANG=C
> > should be sufficient, although unnecessary if your system was setup with
> > LANG=C
>
>> (you should create this file if you want e.g. LANG=de_DE for german.
> I guess I do not understand what is meant here?
I meant it as an example for something uncommon. Default should be LANG=C
which is probably what you want, so it shouldn't be necessary to create /etc/
environment. Now there is something strange so why not checking it with
LANG=C and see if it helps

> Where do I create the file (as root?) and what should be in it.
> At the moment /etc/environment is en_US.utf8.

Then change it to C and see what happens. As root: vim
<your_favourite_editor> /etc/environment, then
LANG=C

> (you should create this file if you want e.g. LANG=de_DE for german.
>
> > If I understood my debian book
>
> Which book do you recommend?

My is a german. for this matter
http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/doc/maint/Maintenance-sysadmin.html
should help (5.4 Systemwide environment configuration). English
recommendations for debian? Hmm this goes out to our members of the
english-speaking world.

HTH,
Gebhard