[Techtalk] syslog and TCP

Chris Henderson henders254 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 07:45:20 UTC 2007

I have a Suse box running syslog-ng as a log server and and I tested a
suse client to log in there and that works fine: both client and
server are syslog-ng.

However: when I try to log a box that only has syslog (not syslog-ng),
it doesn't work. I guess this is because syslog on the client box is
listeninig on UDP and not TCP.

My question: is there any way I can get /etc/syslog.conf to listen to TCP or get
syslog.conf to log message on the syslog-ng box running TCP?

I don't have any firewall in between the boxes and nothing in
/etc/hosts.{deny||allow}

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.