[Techtalk] machine hanging

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Wed Dec 12 13:44:12 UTC 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 03:18:45PM -0800 or thereabouts, Maria McKinley wrote:
> B Seeger wrote:
> >
> >>From what I can figure out, the OS (linux 2.4.31 - debian) is taking up
> > 95% of it's partition's space and the logs grow unchecked (though not
> > fast enough to really cause _the_ problem).  I suspect that the
> > partition being almost full is the essence of my problem...
> >
> > df -h:
> >
> > Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda1             989M  891M   48M  95% /
> > tmpfs                 442M     0  442M   0% /dev/shm
> > /dev/sda3              67G   11G   53G  18% /data0
>
> One easy (and nowadays not very expensive) solution in situations like
> this is to add another hard drive, and move a couple of large
> directories over to it, assuming that there is room in the computer
> box/motherboard for another drive.

Or, if you are not in a position to add a disk, copy /usr to /data0/usr,
rename /usr to /usr1 and symlink /data0/usr to /usr.  Then remove /usr1.

Only issue that might arise in this is whether there is stuff in /usr that
the system needs at boot time before /data0 gets mounted.

Conor
--
Conor Daly,
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

Ta an riomhphost seo, agus aon chomhad ata nasctha leis, faoi run agus is don te a seoladh chuige amhain e. Ma tharla go bhfuair tu an riomhphost seo tri dhearmad cuir in iul don te a sheol e led' thoil.

Ta an teachtaireacht riomhphoist seo scuabtha le bogearrai frithvireas.