[Techtalk] Which Network File System?

mim mim at miriam-english.org
Thu Dec 6 11:00:55 UTC 2007

Thanks Kathryn for asking the question, and Carla for the reply. I'd
been wondering exactly the same thing. Because I still have some legacy
MSWindows machines on my home network I had been using Samba, but had to
wonder if there was something simpler (though Samba is pretty easy to
set up and use).

It is weird that Linux, which was a networkable OS from way back borrows
from MSWindows their way of networking... and Microsoft were latecomers
to networks.

Incidentally, is it possible to use Samba to write to another machine as
root? I need to do this from time to time, but am currently stuck with
setting up a user on the target machine, writing to that user's account
(as the user) from the networked machine, then going over to the target
machine, moving the files by hand to where I want them and changing
their owner to root. It is unwieldy and annoying... though not a major
gripe in the grander scheme of things.

Thanks,

	- Miriam