[Techtalk] problem with the linux bonding driver

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Aug 30 02:15:03 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 29 August 2007 5:31:25 pm Carla Schroder wrote:
> I'm having some issues trying to get mode 6 working with the Linux bonding
> driver.

Today is Hug Cool Devs day! I wrote to one of the bonding driver devs and he
answered so fast I got whiplash. The short story is tulip and via_rhine
drivers don't support changing the MAC address while the interface is open,
so if you want to use the bonding driver's ALB mode for cheep link
aggregation, NICs with these drivers should work:

"Intel (e100, e1000) and Broadcom (tg3) devices.
E100s are 10/100 only, and ought be pretty cheap to acquire.

        If you want to inspect the drivers for compatibility before you
buy, look for drivers that provide a set_mac_address function.  Most of
the drivers that provide that function will permit setting of the MAC
address with the device up."

Carla

--
Carla Schroder