[Techtalk] using aptitude

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 16:00:32 UTC 2007

On 8/25/07, Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org> wrote:
> So, I've started using aptitude, first by just using the commands that
> are the same as apt-get (I did dist-upgrade), and now I started looking
> at the interface. What does it mean "These packages could be upgraded,
> but you have asked for them to be held at their current version." How
> did I do that and where?

I think by default aptitude doesn't auto-upgrade them. It's one of the
settings. It could also be you put them on hold with = I think (or
there is this weird bug that puts all the packages on hold sometimes,
still tracking it down). If you just want them all upgraded press 'U'
(capital u) and it should upgrade them.

greets,
Wim