[Techtalk] Using Evolution and Pine

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Sun Oct 29 22:15:27 UTC 2006

Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> writes:

> On Sunday 29 October 2006 12:14, Mary Gardiner wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 29, 2006, David Sumbler wrote:
>> > Does anyone know if any of the text-based e-mail clients, such as the
>> > ones I have mentioned, are suitable to use in conjunction with
>> > Evolution (but not at the same time, of course)?  Obviously their mail
>> > file format needs to be the same as Evolution's, and I don't want one
>> > program to screw things up for the other.
>>
>> I believe mutt and Evolution can both read the Maildir format. Honestly
>> though, the most common way to get two different mail clients to share a
>> mail account is to get them both to talk to it via IMAP which handles
>> locking and such on the server.
>>

> Another option, if you're using POP mail, is set your accounts to 'leave mail
> on server.' Then you'll have duplication between the two mail clients, and
> they probably won't stay synchronized with each other, but at least you won't
> lose any mail. You'll have to remember to delete messages from the server
> occasionally. It won't matter if you use maildirs or mbox, since the two
> clients are independent of each other.
>
> I do this on the occasions when I'm traveling and need access to email. I
> don't care for Webmail, so I set up a mail client on my laptop and do
> the 'leave mail on server' hack. I also is copy sent-mail to myself so I have
> copies on both mail clients. It's rather kludgy, but it does the job.

It certainly sounds a bit kludgy!  I have tried copying sent-mail to
myself when using webmail, but I find it all a bit frustrating and
unsatisfactory.

In any case, I think I'd like a system which works a bit more
seamlessly than this appears to.

The IMAP option, though, sounds as if it might be the answer.  I know
hardly anything about IMAP, so I have been trying to find out a bit.

One page I found on the web was suggesting downloading mail from the
ISP's mail server, and then runnng an IMAP server on my own computer.
That way I could use my existing Procmail filters etc.  But, from the
little I know, I could probably do some filtering and sorting even on
the remote server, couldn't I?  So running my own server is perhaps an
unnecessary complication.  What does anyone else think?

David

david at aeolia.co.uk