[Techtalk] spam filters again

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Mon Nov 13 10:48:02 UTC 2006

Hi there,

So, I have been playing a little bit with spamassasin, and things are
going so-so. I have turned on auto-learning, and I started using
sa-learn. Sa-learn seems to work, although it often tells me Learned
tokens from 0 message(s) (0 message(s) examined), but I think this is
just because I don't have enough messages collected yet - it does
sometimes say it has learned. But, the auto-learning doesn't seem to be
working, and I get messages like this in the logs:

Nov 12 06:26:36 ella spamd[27507]: mkdir /nonexistent: Permission denied
at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1530
Nov 12 06:26:36 ella spamd[27507]: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp
lockfile
/nonexistent/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.ella.shadlen.org.2750
7 for /nonexistent/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: No such file or
directory

I did some googling, and it seems to have something to do with my
running spamassassin as user nobody. I found one mail-list thread that
seemed relevant, and it said:

If you're not doing per-user configs, create yourself a spamd user, and
pass that to spamd's -u, then use that user for your sa-learning, and
housing your user_prefs, etc.

But, I'm not really sure what it means to pass that to spamd's -u, or
what he is talking about re:user_prefs.

Why would the smapd user be better than using nobody? Do you who are
running spamassassin run it as nobody or someone else? Looking around on
the web, it looks like quite a few people use nobody, so I'm not sure
why they aren't having the same problems. Maybe they just aren't using
auto-learning? Does anyone have any advice about where to go from here?

Thanks a bunch,
Maria

Oh, some more info:

I am running this with postfix, and it is on debian.