[Techtalk] Gaim 2.0beta4 on Ubuntu Breezy Badger

Mary Gardiner mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Nov 6 03:16:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006, Wim De Smet wrote:
> Well I don't know if it would work, but it's in debian so maybe the
> version from packages.debian.org(select 'unstable' for version) works
> for you. I don't know how far Ubuntu goes in renaming packages so it
> might not.

It doesn't rename packages much, but as time goes on — and the Breezy
Badger release is now a year old and branched from Debian nearly 18
months ago — it becomes more and more likely that unstable Debian
packages have dependencies that the old Ubuntu (or Debian for that
matter) install can't satisfy. And Ubuntu never *guarentees*
compatibility with any Debian dependencies or vice versa.

Ubuntu Backports are a better place to look for newer packages that have
working dependencies on old Ubuntu distributions. You can find details
of how to use Ubuntu backports at
http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page Gaim 2.0
betas seem to be available in the Breezy backports.

-Mary