[Techtalk] Alternative ways to implement a mailing list...

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Mon May 29 07:46:57 EST 2006

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 10:28:07AM +0200, Jason Landry wrote:
> Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org>
>
> Yup Kat, that's pretty much the option domain here; do it myself or
> hosting. If I have to go "all the way" and run my own server -- looks
> likely -- my ISP appears "friendly" in this regard; I'm pretty sure --
> if I read correctly -- that they handle the DNS end as well.
>
> In this "ideal" scenario, I would run the website from 1&1 (3 nines
> uptime, tons of bandwidth, etc.) and Mailman on my Fedora box at home.

Is it possible to run mail on one machine and web-service on another?
Well, I guess you could if you somehow set up the DNS to have the web
stuff go to www.straslug.org (which would be your webhost machine)
and mail to go to mail.straslug.org or something like that.
That's a bit more complicated than I've had to deal with myself (I have
it so that everything for katspace.org goes to my own machine, mail
AND website.)

> --- just to touch on 1&1/e-mail for the last time, the only thing
> that's got me scratching my head about the 2,000 aliases, is that the
> plan has 10 e-mail addresses with up to 3 [as such] "many to one alias
> redirections" per address. So I still don't know where they're getting
> this *2,000* figure from ---

False advertising?

Kathryn Andersen