[Techtalk] Alternative ways to implement a mailing list...

Jason Landry jaselan at gmail.com
Wed May 24 23:24:21 EST 2006

Just to make sure I've got a handle on this thing.... So -- if I
understand correctly -- with sendmail, postfix, et al, one can -- via
the "alias" mechanism -- define a "list" of e-mail addresses and then
point another [single] e-mail address at this list..?. So when I saw
that my hosting plan had a whole 2000 aliases, I went hey, that's that
thing; I can have a hyper primitive ML here..!. When I hit the web
configuration interface though, I went hey; where's the part where you
"define" the list of aliases? So anyway -- I'm still waiting on the
provider's answer -- have you ever heard of that before; i.e. a web
hosting plan with e-mail addresses AND the ability to use an "alias"
mechanism to point one e-mail address toward several?

I'm aware that there are hosting providers (e.g. like yours) that have
"real deal" MLM options and support, but I was just wondering about
this "e-mail alias" issue as it would pertain to cobbling together a
[manually managed] mailing list. Thanks.

A quick addendum to the question on script based web MLs... are they
transparent to the user? i.e. the user continues to use their
MUA/Gmail to send and receive msgs, or do they have to visit a web
page and interact from there?... Thanks Chix.

-- J