threads (was: Re: [Techtalk] really basic debian question)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Mar 17 12:08:04 EST 2006

mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org writes:
> Not sure what this is in reference to.  I checked the sent-mail copy of my
> initial message and the subject line reads as "was" above, w/o Re:.
> Definitely its own thread.

Mary already showed that it continued an old thread ... the
reason is the In-Reply-To: header. For instance, your message
to which I'm replying has the header:

To start a new thread, changing the subject line isn't enough;
you also need to delete that header. (Some mailers make this easy;
others make it difficult or don't allow it at all. In mutt I just
delete the line when I edit the message.)

In a mailer that makes it difficult to change headers, you're best
off starting a new message rather than replying to an existing one,
since a lot of people may not notice your new message if it's
buried in a thread they haven't been following.

	...Akkana