[Techtalk] Bind DNS issues...

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jul 31 15:54:30 UTC 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006 07:00, Walt wrote:
> Re: [Techtalk] Bind DNS issues...
>  From: Walt <pippin at freeshell.org>
>  To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
>
> At 09:10 AM 7/31/2006, Mary wrote:
>
> >In future, I suppose one possible debugging addition is to check the
> >logs on the
> >slave as well as the master, assuming you control the slave. I think the
> >slave will actually log errors when it can't transfer the record.
>
> You're right, it was logging errors, but I just didn't
> understand *why* it wasn't transferring those
> records until I examined the master server log files.
>
> Not-your-brightest-sysadmin, :-)

Gentoo arbitrarily re-arrangingyour installation is not your fault, and is not
acceptable. Shame on Gentoo. I hate when distro maintainers wake up one
morning and go "hmm, that old /etc/named.conf is soooo last-milliunnium. Time
for a spring cleaning. I'll fling it into an arbitrary yet tasteful
directory. If only I could color it mauve."

Or maybe they were just bringing it into line with BIND's own filesystem
structure, or the FHS, or the BBQ, or the XYZ, or who knows what. But it's
still a dirty trick.