[Techtalk] Bind DNS issues...

Walt pippin at freeshell.org
Mon Jul 31 13:00:09 UTC 2006

Okay, I *think* I finally found the issueS.

Thanks Mary for your suggestions! It was your
step-by-step troubleshooting that pointed me in the
right direction.

The problem (and it's *apparent* sudden appearance)
were, I think, due to a series of upgrades about a
week ago to my master DNS (Gentoo) server. Apparently,
the new version stores named.conf under /etc/bind
instead of just /etc/named.conf.

When I just perused the log files, I didn't see any
errors because named was starting up fine, but of
course it didn't have any of my domain definitions!
But, at Mary's suggestion I took another look and
realized that there was a lot missing from my logs
that should've been there.

So my guess is that as my domain info began to
expire on the the slave server and could no longer
get updates, my domains dropped off the face of
the earth.

Plus, in the process I found the wonderful tools
named-checkconf and named-checkzone which
were very helpful in correcting errors in some of
my zone files.

Oh, and one other thing: the new Gentoo conf
file had listen-on set just to localhost. That one
should've been obvious, but it took me a while
to figure it out anyway. dnsreport.com was a
major help with that...

Sorry to bother you all with my incompetence!

Thanks for the feedback; really appreciate it...
Walt

-~

     Never forget what a man says to you when he is angry.
                         Henry Ward Beecher