[Techtalk] Descriptions in KDE menus

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 05:16:28 EST 2006

Do we have any KDE experts out there?

I was experimenting with the Kubuntu live CD today, and I noticed that
items in the main KDE menu are displayed as

Description (Name)

whereas on my usual Fedora 4 system I get just

Name

The description field (of kmenuedit) is ignored, even though in
kmenuedit itself the items are displayed as in Kubuntu.  It seems to
me that the Kubuntu behaviour is more useful.

I thought that perhaps Kubuntu was using a more recent version of KDE,
but the reverse is true: Kubuntu has KDE version 3.4.3, and Fedora 4
has 3.5.0.

Is there a way of getting the menu to display the description?  Also,
how do you change the size of the icons in the menu - I have spent
ages trying to find answers to these two questions, but with no
success.

David

david at aeolia.co.uk