[Techtalk] Question regarding chatroom application

Sabine Konhaeuser sjmk at gmx.net
Tue Jan 24 06:17:37 EST 2006

Hi Everyone,

Hope this is the correct list. Anyways.

A client of the company I work for has now all sorts of ideas what he wants to
have installed for his website and he made some suggestions.

1) Messageboard - phpBB, which is fine I think.
2) Classified Ads - GeoDesic's GeoClassifieds Enterprise. This is a commercial
version. I don't know this app, but I would think with a pricetag of $799.-
support should be included. There is a free lite version available, and some
lower priced versions. So maybe he just sent the wrong link.
3) Chatroom - PHPOpenChat. I do not know this application, not much of a
chatroom user myself. Link: http://phpopenchat.org

Has anyone experience with PHPOpenChat? Is there maybe a better solution out
there? I'm trying to find some reviews, or user experiences. By reading
through some of the messages on their forum, it seems to be a mixed bag. Some
like it others have lots of problems. We will not use a shared hosting
environment, our client just signed up for a dedicated linux server, so some
of the problems are probably mute. On paper this app sounds pretty nice, but
I'd like to see some real world experience. So if anyone has some input on
this chatroom app or some others (php based if possible), it would be highly
appreciated.

Thanks.
--
Sabine Konhaeuser