[Techtalk] /usr Partition

Benjamin A'Lee lists at benalee.co.uk
Sun Jan 22 14:57:37 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 07:57 +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On Saturday 21 Jan 2006 11:00 pm, Akkana Peck wrote:
> > mkdir /private (or call it anything you want)
>
> although slightly offtopic, i was warned never ever create a
> directory under '/' (except for /opt), and was pointed to documents
> that state how the linux directory system is structured. Does this
> rule still stand?

It's not really a rule for users, as I understand it - you can do
whatever you like to your own machine.  It's more to ensure
compatibility between distributions, so that a certain program is always
in a certain place etc.  The reasoning behind it is that there should be
as little as possible on the root partition, basically enough to start
the boot process and mount /usr (assuming /usr is a separate partition).
Once /usr is mounted, all of the system's software is available for the
rest of the boot process.

It can't hurt to create something under root; I tend not to simply
because it means fiddling with permissions, so it's rarely the easiest
option.

    Ben

--
Termisoc Tech Officer: <http://termisoc.org/>