[Techtalk] windoze-only ISPs?

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 22 10:12:42 EST 2006

On Jan 21, 2006, at 5:31 PM, Carla Schroder wrote:

> Has anyone heard of, or had dealings with, an ISP that connects
> only to
> Windows customers? Most of them don't support Linux, but you can
> still get
> online, you just don't get any help from the ISP. I'm wondering if
> there are
> any that can't even connect except with Windows.
>
> thankee kindly!

There used to be some, but I haven't heard of any such since IP took
over the networking world and PPP the dial-up world.  But before
that, there were ones that used their own software to communicate
over the dial-up connection, in order to give something more than the
plain-text BBS-type experience.  Prodigy and AOL both used to be of
that sort.

I'm not sure if AOL has entirely abandoned their proprietary protocol
for IP yet... if I remember right, back in '96 or so they still
hadn't moved over to IP, but I would think they would have by now...

Doing some quick Googling, it appears that as recently as 2002, AOL
was still using a proprietary protocol on their dial-up connections.
There've been efforts to make free software to "speak" AOL's
protocols, but AOL has sued people trying to do it.

AOL itself was never "Windows only", of course -- they supported GEOS
before Windows, and still support Macs.  I'm not sure if Prodigy was
or not.

Travis S. Casey           efindel at earthlink.net
I am an evil kitten!  Mew-ha-ha!