[Techtalk] CGI page from Accounting Server

Meryll Larkin alwanza at oz.net
Sun Jan 22 06:56:18 EST 2006

1/21/06

Hi Everyone,

The company I work for has a secured Intranet and we want to display live
data on it from our Accounting Database.

The Accounting Database is Informix.  I've already written a Perl
test-program that accesses the Database and spits out data using DBI and
DBD/Informix.pm.

I have no problem making this into a CGI script to display the results in
HTML format.

The part I need help with is this:
The Accounting database and the Intranet live on two different servers (on
the same LAN, different static IPs).  The test-program I wrote is on the
Accounting Server but ideally, we would want the CGI page to reside on the
Intranet server.

I've thought of several ways this might be possible, like writing it OO
style and putting the Perl Module (I'll write) that actually accesses the
Database on the Accounting server but everything else on the Intranet
Server.  The advantage to this is that if I do it that way, I already know
where DBD and DBI need to live:  on the Accounting Server.  But, I'm not
sure if that is a good way to do it, nor how to access a Perl module on a
second server.  If you have any info or suggestions, even if it is which
book to read, please respond.

Thanks,
Meryll Larkin