[Techtalk] /usr Partition

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 20 15:06:00 EST 2006

On Jan 19, 2006, at 2:09 PM, Akkana Peck wrote:

> A typical partition scheme for me (obviously it depends on disk size):
>
> * One /boot, small (maybe 64-128M).
> * Several (three or four) / partitions, 4.5-10G each.
> * A swap (I'm still confused as to how big to make swap).

If you want to be able to analyze the results of system memory in the
event of a crash and full core dump, swap should be at least as big
as system memory.  If you don't care, then the only thing you need
swap for is if everything you're running won't fit into memory at once.

The modern rule of thumb is to have it equal to the size of memory if
you're feeling a little paranoid.  If you think you have plenty of
memory for what your system will be doing, make it about half the
size of memory.  If you think you have way more memory than you need,
you can run without any swap space at all, especially if it's not a
"critical" system (i.e., no one's going to care if you have to reboot).

Travis S. Casey           efindel at earthlink.net
I am an evil kitten!  Mew-ha-ha!