[Techtalk] Firewall settings

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Sun Jan 15 10:55:30 EST 2006

When I execute 'iptables -L -b' on my Fedora Core 4 system the output
includes these lines:

target     prot opt in     out     source               destination

ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             224.0.0.251         udp dpt:5353
ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:ipp
REJECT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

I have omitted the "pkts" and "bytes" columns; there was traffic
relating to lines 1 and 3, but not to line 2.

What is port 5353, and why is it open for traffic to 224.0.0.251?
What does that IP address represent?

Ipp seems to be internet printing protocol; why would I need this
port (631) open?

David

david at aeolia.co.uk