[Techtalk] hp 3620 won't print

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 10:25:07 EST 2006

On 2/9/06, mrs ward <moses at kconline.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I use SuSE 9.2 kde, sharing a computer with xp on the other partition.  The
> printer is set up as a 3650 so that it will work.  It works for many days in
> a row, and then for no reason I can figure, it stops working.  It prints an
> OOo file in the morning and then refuses to print a pdf later in the day.
> Nothing happened in between other than normal internet, OOo file-editing, or
> Patience-playing, which I do everyday.
>
> Usually I can shutdown and it will work again.  Twice I had to un-install and
> then re-install the printer to get it working again.  This time not even that
> worked.  I popped into xp, printed the pdf, and then came back into SuSE.
> Printer still does not work.
>
> I've used SuSE (9.2, 9.0, and 8.0) for a few years, but I'm not an expert.
> I've asked the only expert I know--my son--but he can't fix it from Japan and
> he's too busy at work to find the answer for me on Linux forums.  So...does
> anyone out there know what I am doing wrong so that my printer keeps
> rebelling?  And do you know how I can fix it now?  If the answer is too
> complicated for me to understand, Lee can walk me through it slowly ("okay,
> Mom, do you see the little seashell on the bottom of your screen?", etc.)

open a browser and go to this address: http://localhost:631/ (just
copy paste it). If Suse uses cups the config should show up. There you
can click printers (probably have to log in as root then) and look at
the configuration. Error messages will usually be listed and that
might provide us with a bit more information as to what the problem
is.

greets,
Wim