[Techtalk] Make replacement

Tamara Harpster tamara.harpster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 15:08:11 EST 2006

I've gotten so I use Ant for make tasks. Although it started off being for
Java, it does a lot more. And one thing Ant does very well is working with
massive numbers of files and copying to directories, with just a couple of
lines of XML. In fact, I've only used Ant on one project to build Java, I've
also used it to transform SGML into XML, apply an XSLT sheet to said XML,
copy around 2000+ files to a 'clean' directory for building with a tool and
doing search and replace with the regexp support. And on Windows you can
create shortcuts that pass in parameters so that a given build.xml will work
differently depending on the target. And it has fairly decent debug log text
too.

However, I also haven't had much time/interest in looking for another too,
so I will admit to bias towards Ant on my part. It would be interesting to
hear what other people are using for builds

tamara harpster

On 2/8/06, Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:27:20PM -0600, Kathryn Hogg wrote:
> > What kind of deficiencies in make render it unsuitable for your task?  I
> > use makefiles to generate website content from databases, generate photo
> > albums, etc.
>
> Well, it's "good enough", sure, but...
>
> Just the everyday irritations, like:
> - the "oh dear are they tabs or spaces?" problem
> - having to make ".PHONY" targets
> - applying things to subdirectories with things like the following:
>
> .PHONY: clean
> clean:
>         @for f in $(SUBDIRS); \
>         do \
>                 $(MAKE) -C $$f clean; \
>         done
>
> I was just wondering if there was something *better*.  I mean, after all
> these years, one would have thought something better would have come
> along...
>
> Kathryn Andersen
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>     Blake:  Of course, you have to know the surface conditions, otherwise
>             teleporting's a bit like a jump in the dark.  You're quite
> liable
>             to surface in a fission reactor.
> Bellfriar:  Not a mistake you could learn by, really.
>                                                 (Blake's 7: Killer [B7])
> --
> _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen  <http://www.katspace.com>
>       v     |
> ------------| Melbourne -> Victoria -> Australia -> Southern Hemisphere
> Maranatha!  |   -> Earth -> Sol -> Milky Way Galaxy -> Universe

"Do not anger the dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"