[Techtalk] Make replacement

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu Feb 9 11:27:18 EST 2006

Does anybody know of a good *general-purpose* "make" replacement?
There seem to be heaps of make replacements around, but they also seem
to be language-specific, only working for C, C++, Java, or some other
programming language.  For example, Ant is Java-oriented.

But I don't want to use this to compile stuff, I want to be able to use
it to pre-generate files for my website.  For example, running a script
to generate multiple index pages when the contents of an SQLite database
changes.  Another thing I do is use a Makefile to copy over various
files from my perl code directories when I make a new release of one of
my perl packages.  Things like this are better done periodically, rather
than dynamically, hence "make" is better than writing specialized
scripts.  But something which is designed for only compiling C code is
useless.

I was using makepp for a while, but it isn't that much better, and has
the disadvantage of not being well-known enough to have an up-to-date
GenToo package for it, so I had to install it by hand.  At the moment
I'm moving stuff back to make, but I'm wondering if there's something
better out there.

Kathryn Andersen