[Techtalk] Attachment stripping and storing for Mailman

Fred H Olson fholson at cohousing.org
Sat Dec 30 21:56:50 UTC 2006

On Sun Dec 17 Mary Gardiner mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org wrote:

> I have some private Mailman lists to which users like to send huge
> attachments. Re-training in the "put it on the web and send a link"
> manner has proven impossible: they apparently find it easier to munge
> together the subscription list (it's fairly small and the subscribers
> know each other) from their address books and send out big attachments
> via Cc, bypassing Mailman.

I have the same problem but have not given up on 'Re-training in the
"put it on the web and send a link"' . If there were a good strip and
store facility, it seems like it would get overused. There are times when
a non-text format is needed - a speadsheet or a flyer PDF or an image, but
so often folks want to attach a Word or PDF file with just a bit of text
that could easily be copied and pasted into the body of a message.
I'd hate to faciliate that latter in order to accommodate the relatively
infrequent instances of the former.

I refer people to my FAQ entry:
Q10:What's the policy on attachments? What are the alternatives?
http://justcomm.org/jc-faq.htm#Q10

Fred, http://justcomm.org

Communications for Justice - My new listserv org.       UU, Linux
My Link Page: http://fholson.cohousing.org       Ham radio:WB0YQM
fholson at cohousing.org   612-588-9532   (7am-10pm Central time)