[Techtalk] Slpit a directory

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 13:04:51 UTC 2006

On 12/28/06, Figaro <ynegorp at charter.net> wrote:
> Need help to split a /usr partition on to two partitions.
> Debian: SID scsi hdwe. I was thinking to move /usr/share to a larger
> partition on a different drive (3@ 18g avail)..
> So how best to do this? I do not want to lose this installation if it is
> not neccesary.. But really need more space.
> Ideas? I usually use sfdisk to format ant the the usual mke2fs -j ....,
> fsck and then edit fstab to make mountable. But how do I setup the
> simlinks etc.. so that the system knows where what is?
> Thank you,
> matthew

With tar:
1) create a partition on the new drive, format it, mount it as /mnt/something
2) cd /usr/share
3) tar --preserve --numeric-owner -cf - . | (cd /mnt/something; tar
--preserve -xf -)

Edit fstab, mv share out of the way, mount the new share, delete the
old share like Conor explained.

greets,
Wim