[Techtalk] Mac or Linux for photo printing?

Andrea Landaker qirien at icecavern.net
Mon Dec 18 20:50:10 UTC 2006

> -no simple way to scale images for printing, like 4x6 borderless, or 8x10
> with 1/4" border. I have to scale images manually, which is less fun than
> it sounds

You might want to try kphotoalbum - it has a convenient print utility if you
just want to print a bunch of photos of a certain size.  (Plugins ->
Export -> Print Wizard).  It has great support for tags, searching, and
things like that.

Picasa is also now available for Linux (http://picasa.google.com/).  It's not
too bad for managing photos and printing them.

I'm sure there are other similar programs that do things like this (gphoto?).
I haven't tried them, though.

For calendar printing, you might want to try the online service
www.lulu.com -- they will print it professionally for you, or you can take
the PDF they generate and print it yourself.

I use OpenOffice for greeting cards (I have a template you can use if you
wish).  When installed with openclipart, you also have a lot of great clipart
and borders and things.  But I agree -- it would be nice if there was a
program kind of like PrintShop to do simple stuff like this.

Like people said, professional things like color management aren't very
advanced, and some drivers have problems in Linux.  I guess the difference
is, if you don't like it, you can try and change it.  It just takes a lot of
work.  :-)

--
Andrea Landaker
http://www.icecavern.net/~qirien/