[Techtalk] Spam filtering Mailman..

agoats agoats at compuserve.com
Sat Sep 17 12:35:37 EST 2005

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 06:12:41AM -0500, agoats wrote:
> > Is there a way to do spam filtering before mailman?
> I've found there are some settings in Postfix that can cut down spam to
> the entire system, by blocking things like dynamic IPs, realtime
> blackhole lists, non-reverse-DNS-lookups...

Part of the problem I have is that many of the people in the mailing
lists have a dynamic IP, like me! ;)

I suspect the linuxchix.org lists is very similar to the one I'm admin
on. I have 212 members and 350 nonmembers and a total of 13 lists at
this time for the organisation. The spam is targeting 7 of these lists
and is also catching me (the list gets the spam first, then I get it
later). Interestingly, I get one for each occurence in a mailing list.

I kind of suspect a member of my list being an unknowing spambot,
however, I'd like to know if there are any Unix/Linux spambots and any
software to screen for them? Windows has Ad-aware and others, but is
there anything for non-windows?

Alvin