[Techtalk] SUSE kernel modules

Ursel Brueckner u.brueckner at planet-interkom.de
Sat Sep 17 05:41:31 EST 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 06:25, Michelle Sims wrote:
> My linux is very rusty (I live mostly in AIX land....)
>
> I have installing SUSE on my laptop (woo hoo, its working), but am also
> going to install VMware on top (so I can get to my required Notes calendar
> etc) ....vmware instructions ask about several kernel modules/options, and
> my mind is going blank on where to check if they are installed.
>
> Any pointers appreciated..

don't know, what exactly vmware asks for in your case, but this might help you
further.
Depending on which SUSE version you have, there are different procedures
preparing the kernel modules.

For example for version 9.2/9.3 you need to configure the kernel sources (they
must be installed though and match the running kernel) with the help of the
following commands:

cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig
make prepare

Subsequently, run the VMware configuration script vmware-config.pl and follow
its instructions.

For more information or help, you might want to take a look at the support
database and search for vmware:
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/index.html

Regards,
Ursula