[Techtalk] Linux and home Internet connections

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Sep 2 07:43:44 EST 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005, Wim De Smet wrote:
> I don't know about price in other parts of the world, but it's dirt
> cheap compared to dial up here for one reason only, we pay per minute
> for our phone connections.

The complete cost of dialup in Australia is:
 1. fixed line rental, about $20 a month
 2. the cost of phone calls to the provider (about 18c flat rate, we
    only time distance calls)
 3. dialup service, about $10-$15 a month

The complete cost of DSL:
 1. fixed line rental, about $20 a month (most providers require that
    you have the phone on)
 2. dialup service from $30 a month (200MB-1GB download allowance) to
    $55-$60 a month (10GB download allowance)

Static IPs go for about $5 a month extra. So dialup is cheaper unless
you make a lot of individual connections. Or dial over a mobile phone,
that gets expensive very quickly.

-Mary