Linux support for Mac hardware (Re: [Techtalk] Linux Laptops)

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Thu Oct 27 21:52:14 EST 2005

On Oct 27, 2005, at 7:39 AM, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

> Thinking about how I use my current laptop...
> - as a development machine for my website (which really means that I
>   need Linux, and the same version of Linux as my server/desktop)

what development environment are you using?  if it's simple LAMP or
even python/ruby development - OS X has those either native (Apache,
PHP) or through fink and darwinports)

> - for doing work on when travelling (such as on the bus to work every
>   day) which is a mixture of
>   - perl development (which again would need Linux)

Since when does Perl need Linux?  I run it happily on both XP and OS
X with no problems

>   - writing (which only needs an editor)

both emacs, vi, and a host of other editors are available

> All of the above need a way to sync the contents of the laptop with
> the desktop.  At the moment I use unison, which does just what I want.
>
> Which basically gets back to the question: how well does Linux work on
> the PPC?  Is it more or less reliable than an x86 machine?  The upside
> of x86 is that it's popular, therefore stuff gets fixed.  The downside
> of x86 is that the hardware keeps getting changed and not supported.
> Is Apple hardware more stable, or is it a moving target cloaked in
> mystery?

My friend runs PPC linux (I think debian) on his G5 (not laptop), and
he has the occasional lockups and sound issues
The nice thing about Apple hardware is that if you're looking at two
same model laptops, they're going to have the same hardware.  And
most of the same hardware as in the other laptops.  One reason Apple
hardware is so expensive - they use quality parts.  If, however, you
want to replace one of those parts, it's not as easy as it would be
on a PC laptop.  Taking apart a i/powerbook involves taking it
completely apart - not just the take off keyboard that PCs tend to
have.  And it's *very* obvious that you've voided your warranty if
you take it apart.  But most of the parts are quality commodity parts
and easily replaceable except for the opening part.

If you decide to go x86, I suggest Emperor Linux (http://
www.emperorlinux.com/)  Not sure if they'll ship to AU, but they pre-
install Linux on a wide variety of laptops.

Elwing