Linux support for Mac hardware (Re: [Techtalk] Linux Laptops)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu Oct 27 16:58:53 EST 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 04:27:19PM +1000, Mary wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 Oct 2005 11:22 am, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> > > What's the best laptop for Linux?
> >
> > strangely enough a lot of power users of linux use ibooks or powerbooks
> > as they say they get the most bang for their buck.
>
> How's the support for the newest models these days? For a while there,
> 2004-2005 models weren't well supported: in particular the wireless
> cards weren't supported.

And as it's still 2005...

It's a thought, though.  I was assuming that Intel x86 would be the best
supported, but if I got a Mac (a) I wouldn't be paying Windows Tax and
(b) I might actually want to dual boot, rather than wiping the disk.
I hear that Macs have some yummy multimedia tools.  On the other hand,
it's such a bother having a dual-boot machine; one generally spends most
of one's time in one O/S anyway, and then one misses the things one
doesn't have in the other one.

And would it be harder to maintain having two different kinds of
hardware? (Since my desktop is x86 anyway)
Mind you, if one is using GenToo (as I am at the moment) maybe it
wouldn't be so hard, since the source would be the same for both.

Kathryn Andersen