[Techtalk] distro for production server

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sat Oct 15 08:44:47 EST 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005, Carla Schroder wrote:
> I am pleased that dependency resolvers like Yum and apt-rpm have come to the
> rpm world; now instead of RPM hell we have RPM repository hell. OK it's not
> quite that bad, but you still have the problem of every noob programmer
> throwing poo RPMs into the wild. You must choose your repositories carefully.

The official ones and the freshrpm ones seem reasonable, and are
sufficient for the Fedora workstation I have at work. I would tend to
suggest the following for a production server:

 1. use official repositories
 2. if you are going to be using one particular piece of crucial and
    unusual software (perhaps your own software is built on a particular
    library), then use their RPMs too

That will usually be fine. It's desktop users after the latest and
greatest who tend to suffer from the poo RPM problem.

-Mary