[Techtalk] Recommendations for digital cameras

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 19:02:27 EST 2005

On 10/12/05, Mary <mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2005, Dan wrote:
> > If you own a digital camera and you use it with Linux, I'm interested in
> > knowing what brand/model it is and how easy it is to plug into your
> > system. I'm also interested in what you think about the camera in
> > general.
>
> I have an earlier model of Sony DSC. It works great with Linux, and
> stores files in JPG format.
>
> > Is it true that many cameras today use USB memory sticks, and thus are
> > compatible with Linux?
>
> It's more true to say that most cameras, in addition to having a
> removable memory card that Linux usually can't read, have a USB dongle
> that connects the camera (with the memory card still in the camera)
> directly to a computer. Generally, the camera presents what I gather is
> a pretty standard USB filesystem (usually VFAT format, which Linux can
> read and write) to the computer. To the computer it looks much like a
> USB memory stick would, but it is not actually literally a memory stick,
> it's an entire camera mimicing a memory stick.
>
> This has been the case for some years now. The big thing to watch out
> for is the odd manufacturer who use a custom file format. Almost all use
> JPG or TIFF, which is fine. Manufacturer's custom file formats are often
> heavily locked down and Linux programs may not be able to read them. But
> it seems the bulk of digital cameras work as well with Linux as they do
> with any other operating system.

it might be usefull to see if you can get a cardreader wich works with
linux, this makes it easier to get the data off, as well als making
you batteries last longer :)

Finne

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"