[Techtalk] ruby course?

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Fri Oct 7 19:45:46 EST 2005

Karine Delvare wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:56:02 +1000
>Sue Stones <suzo at spin.net.au> wrote:
>

>>There was talk about setting up a "study group"  to learn ruby.  It was
>>to be a study group because no-one was able to teach it.  I was going to
>>organise it, but I never got around to it because of one thing and
>>another (health).
>>

>I remember that, the study group idea was to follow a good book about
>learning Ruby together, but I don't remember what book it was... maybe
>Sue remembers :)

Lots of different methods were suggested and we didn't actually decide
on one.  I felt it was more a matter of letting people choose what they
wanted to follow and discuss it on-line.  Setting a book has advantages
and disadvantages.  The main disadvantages is that some people may
prefer to use their money other ways, some don't seem to relate to a
book.  There are plenty of on-line reference that's free.

I actually bought a book "Programming Ruby" with Dave Thomas et al.
(with a pick axe on the cover) but I actually intended to buy the
O'Reilley book - (I must have been not concentrating at the time).
http://www.rubycentral.com/book/

Sue