[Techtalk] CVS and SSH ports

Michelle Murrain michelle at murrain.net
Wed Nov 30 14:32:54 EST 2005

Hi all,

Seems like I'm posting a lot all of a sudden. New question. Our
sysadmin changed the SSH port, because we were getting lots of brute
force attacks. I'm having a hell of a time accessing my CVS
repository because of this.

I'm using the CVSROOT = :ext:mpm at foo.bar.com:/var/lib/cvsroot

So, first, being stupid, I tried to alter the CVS_RSH variable in
my .bashrc file, to read ssh -p xxxx. That didn't work.
Then, I tried an alias - alias ssh='ssh -p xxxx'
That didn't work.

Then I googled, and found a thing about adding an alias to ~/.ssh/
config:

Host hostname
HostKeyAlias foo.bar.com
Hostname foo.bar.com
Port xxxx

And that didn't work either - ssh still tried to connect on port 22.

Ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Michelle

Michelle Murrain
Seminarian, Pacific School of Religion
michelle at murrain.net
Blog: http://www.pearlbear.us

AIM:pearlbear0
googletalk:michelle.murrain at gmail.com

"To reach satisfaction in all desire satisfaction in nothing." -- St.
John of the Cross
"Rely on nothing until you want nothing" -- Dhammapada