[Techtalk] CVS question

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Nov 25 13:36:22 EST 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> So is there a way to say, *automatically*, when they try to check in
> changes as this user, "sorry, you can't do that, try again logged in as
> yourself".

What's the setup? Is it a remote CVS machine, if so is it pserver, rsh
or ssh access? Is it on a local filesystem for them?

In the case where access is controlled by UNIX logins (ie, ssh, rsh or
local access) my solution would be to make a "cvs" group of users (see
"man groupadd" and "man usermod" on UNIX machines), and add only
accounts to it that you want to have CVS access. Leave the general user
out of the group. Then make sure the repository group ownership is set
to that group, and that it is group but not world writable (I think
that's normal for CVS).

This won't give a custom error message though, it will give something like
"permission denied". So it's likely that you'll need to explain the
error to people.

I've never set up pserver, so I can't give advice on that setup.
`
-Mary