[Techtalk] Fuzzy search on a database

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Nov 11 20:57:42 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005, jennyw wrote:
> I've heard that PostgreSQL has some fuzzy search functionality. And that
> MySQL has some possibilities, too, but I don't know how well either of
> these works.

Postgres has an implementation of the Levenshtein distance, see [1],
which is described at [2]. It's apparently not part of the default set
of commands, you will need to load the stored procedure into your
database, as per [3] (see the "Soundex/Fuzzy matching" section, the
location of the file is probably distro-specific).

-Mary

[1] http://forum.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/release-7-2.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levenshtein_distance
[3] http://www.freebsddiary.org/postgresql-7.2.php