[Techtalk] Fixing up live.linuxchix.org

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sat May 28 08:37:58 EST 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005, Wim De Smet wrote:
> I think this might simply be solved by putting a lang attribute on the
> enclosing block. Firefox does render the hebrew text though.

The trouble with doing this is that I'm not supplying the text, I'm
*aggregating* it. It's the same problem as declaring "this entire page
is XHTML" or "this entire page is HTML 2". It's authored by 40 people,
so I can't know. If Shoshannah one day makes an entry in English, and
I've enclosed all her entries in markers that indicate that it's
Hebrew (and she certainly does embed English words in her entries
sometimes anyway) then we run into the opposite problem.

I'll tell Apache that the page is UTF-8. Can anyone who has trouble with
some characters as of now please contact me with screenshots? (I don't
need to hear from people for whom it is working.)

-Mary