[Techtalk] Fixing up live.linuxchix.org

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Fri May 27 06:25:43 EST 2005

Hi Mary,
A quick 'n dirty fix would be to place overflow:hidden on div.liveentrybody.
This will hide anything that overflows that container. Of course, then
you're not showing the image and you still have a blank space in the content
area.

Here are some snapshots of the live page at 3 resolutions
http://www.browsercam.com/public.aspx?proj_id=165853 (there are several
pages of screenshots available through the dropdown select)

In my experience, floats are better at expanding with varied content sizes
in general, but not in this case dealing with a large image. Here are
snapshots of the same page with floats instead of a/p
http://www.browsercam.com/public.aspx?proj_id=165869

If you don't mind the look of it, you could set overflow:scroll on
<liventrybody> (it's pretty unattractive in my opinion). Personally, I would
opt to only pull in text, and exclude images from the feed since you can't
control the size of images.

If I were required to pull in images, I would first explore extending my rss
parser to detect image size and decide whether to display it or provide a
link.

If you want to convert the absolute positioning to floats, here's what I
did:

In the source order,  moved the livehighlight container to be the last div
within livecontainer (e.g. <div livehighlight> </div livehight> </div
livecontainer> </body></html>)

div.livecontainer {
	width: 100%;
}