[Techtalk] Web-hosting dilemma

Meryll Larkin alwanza at oz.net
Thu May 26 13:38:54 EST 2005

5/25/05

Hi Kathryn,

I used to make my living as a high level Web Dev, architect, Web Application
Dev, etc before the dotcom dot bomb....  Now I Sys Admin...

You actually have LOTS of choices.  You can do browser-detection clientside
with Javascript.
http://www.alwanza.com/bells/browserDetectJS.html
That example is a little outdated because it isn't where I've been putting
my energy for the past 3 years, but you get the idea.

There are PLENTY of reliable hosting places with Apache servers for MUCH
less than $25 per month.  Just Google "cheap Web host Apache" and you'll
come up with a ton of them.  Make sure you read the specs carefully, call up
their tech dept before you sign-on and find out how they handle the URL to
page mapping that you want to create.

I do my some of my own Web hosting and I can tell you that has its own
problems too.  Here they are:

1.  Yes, you get more control, and more experience, but you also PAY for it.
It is NOT less expensive to run your own host server UNLESS you host others
and get them to pay for it.

2.  You will need more than a server, you will also need (at minimum) backup
power supply (for outages), some mechanism for making data backups of your
sites (so that if something happens - getting hacked, a server meltdown, you
can restore from backup), and a firewall (this can be minimal and built into
a router, and you can be pretty damn safe with just that plus hosts.deny and
hosts.allow, provided you know how to configure them correctly).

3.  If you have a decent amount of traffic going to your site, a static IP
address on the fastest home ADSL won't cut it.  You will need to purchase
business-level DSL to handle the bandwidth you'll need.  As you've noted, at
that point it becomes MORE expensive than having to pay monthly fees to a
host.  Plus you might get stuck with a phone business listing and every
solicitor from around the world will phone you trying to get your business
to buy their product.

4.  As long as your site is not getting commercial-load traffic, you CAN
make due with your home DSL.  If you have already purchased a static IP, you
are half way there.  Another disadvantage to home servers is that many of us
get STUCK with the MONOPOLY phone company that has our TERRITORY.  Those
AWFUL (they are all bad, some are worse than others) companies charge too
much for services they don't deliver (just use Ping Plotter and find out how
fast/slow your connection really is vs what they bill you for).  MAYBE you
are one of the lucky few who have competing phone companies in your area.
If you are, SHOP AROUND.  Call them with a list of questions.  Compare.  The
deals are not all the same.

Good luck and hope that helps,
Meryll Larkin