[Techtalk] Web-hosting dilemma

Michelle Murrain michelle at murrain.net
Thu May 26 09:07:14 EST 2005

On May 25, 2005, at 5:58 PM, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

> For the past several months, I've been going back and forth with my
> web-host, getting very unsatisfactory non-answers about the
> problems I'm
> having with my web-site and the fact that they use the Zeus webserver,
> not Apache.

<snip>
> The only other alternatives I can see are (a) find another webhost
> or (b) run my own server, as I will be getting my own ADSL connection
> (with static IP) soon.
>
> The problems with these are that the likelihood of finding another
> webhost who is as cheap and reliable as the one I am using now is
> miniscule (the package I have with them is that I paid a large
> amount up
> front, and now I get it for US$25 a year, which is really good).  And
> apart from this particular Zeus problem, they have been a really good
> webhost.
<snip>

Well, $25 a year is really cheap - I can't help you beat that. But
there are things called Virtual private servers - I got one for $10/
month - and there are a number of OSes to choose from. - and I think
it beats running your own server in your house (been there, done that).

I got mine from Redwood Virtual - and they were nice folks. http://
www.redwoodvirtual.com/
(I'm not using mine anymore - but it's no fault of theirs - I just
didn't use it enough to justify the cost - I decided I'd rather go
with a service like Typepad for my blog, than admin my own CMS.)

Michelle

michelle at murrain.net
AIM:pearlbear0 ICQ:129250575
Yahoo:michelle_murrain MSN:michelle at murrain.net
Jabber: pearlbear at transactim.net

Blog: http:// www.pearlbear.us

"Thing not of the faults of others, or what they have done or not
done. Think rather of your own sins, of the things you have done or
not done" --Buddha
"Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye, but do not notice
the log in your own eye?" Jesus (Mark 7)