[Techtalk] Database textbook recommendations

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sat May 14 11:01:38 EST 2005

Hey everyone,

In current projects, I'm beginning to find my database knowledge a bit
shaky and would appreciate some pointers to reading material. I have
perhaps unusual requirements, but perhaps not: does anyone have
recommendations.

What I already know:

 - I know SQL, so I'm not looking for an SQL tutorial
 - I can program in several (mainly OO) languages
 - I have a comp sci/maths degree and while refreshers are fine, I can
   be assumed to know something about data structures, worst/average
   case costs, time/space tradeoff and that kind of thing. I also have some
   knowledge of data structures, although not particularly recent or
   practical.

What I want to know: how to apply all of this to database design and
maintainence, how to design databases to get efficient results when
querying datasets of varying profiles on really big databases. What
changes when you have enormous and frequently accessed versus enormous
and seldom accessed. This includes things like tradeoffs on updates and
inserts versuses selects for different datasets, stress testing database
designs, different indexing strategies and that kind of thing. MySQL and
Postgres focus preferred at this stage.

Essentially, I want a Database Design for Computer Scientists primer, or
Turning a Hacker into a DBA in 24 Difficult and Geeky Steps.  I'm happy
to get recommendations that start off with stuff I do/might know and
which get interesting in the last few chapters. Online or offline
resources are both fine. Anyone got any?

-Mary