[Techtalk] Fading with gimp

Dan dan at cellectivity.com
Fri May 6 21:20:04 EST 2005

I have very little knowledge of gimp, but I'd like to use it to create
an image with a radial fading effect (with center crisp and the edges
fading gradually to nothing - or rather, fading to white).

I've figured out to use a layer mask and a gradient (shape radial),
fading from a white foreground to a black background. But the radial
gradiant isn't a gradient: it always gives me a hard crop rather than a
smooth fade-out effect.

What am I doing wrong?

--
  Do not disturb - already quite disturbed.
     - Tagline taken from Random Access Humor (RAH)